Optimap PSD – Map and measure surface quality
- Map and measure surface quality
- Quantify faults such as orange peel, waviness and DOI
- Results displayed in industry compatible units ( K, Ka, Kb, Kc, Kd, Ke )
- 0.1% resolution
The new Optimap™ marks a revolution in the control of surface quality. For the first time subjective visual assessment can be replaced with reliable, representative measurement.
For maximum consumer impact, high quality products require high quality finishes that are homogeneous, blemish and defect free. Surface finish is currently assessed subjectively by visual inspection or measured by instruments that do not capture a full picture of surface quality.
The Optimap™ is the first portable instrument to map and measure surface texture
Using an advanced measuring technique known as Phase Stepped Deflectometry (PSD) the Optimap™ is capable of making fast, objective, full field measurements over large areas requiring no movement over the surface.
Surface texture is used to quantify visible faults such as orange peel, waviness and DOI problems. It can also be used to identify local faults such as:
- Orange Peel
In a single fast operation the Optimap™ maps the topography of a test surface displaying faults and texture in incredible detail. Mapped information is processed into objective surface measurements that can be used to effectively control product quality
How does it work?:
- The Optimap can be battery or mains operated and is suitable for use in the laboratory or on the factory floor. It is operated by an intuitive touch screen operation and has a built in file system that allows measurements to be stored in an organized structure.
- The Optimap can measure most surfaces from ultra matt to mirror finish.
- When a measurement is initiated, an internal target screen displays a series of optical fringes. These fringes are reflected in the sample surface and captured by a camera. The typical acquisition time is < 3 seconds.
- Using a technique called PHASE stepped deflectometry the instrument builds a 3D map of the sample surface. The typical calculation time is < 5 seconds.
- The scale of the map is (curvatures m-1). The curvature map represents an exaggerated view of how the eye sees surface quality and defects
- The results can be filtered to simulate different viewing distances from:
Ta: High frequency texture which is visible from less than 1m up to Te: Waviness visible from 3m away from the surface.
- Results can be shown as texture which is compatible with other waviness measuring instruments or curvatures, a traceable measurement m-1
- The maps can be zoomed in and panned to view defects in high resolution. Stored results can be output to software for further analysis.
- Rugged and accurate the Optimap™ is suitable for laboratory, factory or on-site inspection.
- The soft touch measurement portal means the instrument can be used safely on the highest quality surfaces.
- No movement required during measurement
- Touch screen operation means operator training is minimal
- Surface texture and defects can be assessed on a huge variety of surfaces: semi matt surfaces to polished mirrors, small & curved parts
- A large area is mapped in a single operation (95 x 70mm), up to 100 times more representative than other texture scan instruments
- Onscreen texture maps show orange peel, waviness and surface defects in incredible detail
- Objective measurements can be displayed in traceable SI units or selected industrial scales
- Data and results are fully compatible with other analytical techniques and third party software
- Optional software allows sophisticated texture/fault analysis and report generation
- Paints and Coatings
- Metal Polishers
- Smart Phone, Tablet PC and Laptop Covers
- Automotive re-finish
- Yacht Manufacturers
- Polished Stone
- TWood Coatings
0.1 – 0.3
0.3 – 1.0
1.0 – 3.0
3.0 – 10.0
10.0 – 30.0
- Display: 6.5 inch Colour VGA TFT Touch Screen
- Camera: 1.3 Megapixels, image resolution 1296 x 966
- Measurement Area: 95mm x 70mm
- Lateral Resolution: 75µm
- Data storage: 6GB Compact Flash – 200 readings
- Power: Lithium Ion Battery 4800mAH / 4-8 hour usage / charge
- Weight: 3.0 Kg
- Dimensions: H – 200mm, W – 218mm, D – 250mm
- Better than 1%
- Reproducibility: Better than 2%
Data Sheets & Manual:
- Optimap data sheet
- Optimap Manual
- Optimap PSD Measurement principles and theory
- Technical article – Advanced characterisation of surface appearance